Sunday, January 13, 2008

Gear Fear


I can see my mecca from my front door. Being at a spits throw away from REI, I have problems of the other kind. Leela’s gear problems are not half as bad as mine. The second REI announces sale, I am there in my pajamas and take a day off from work. Most times they don’t even have to have a sale. It’s an expensive pastime and involves a very agitated spouse. If they had frequent visitor points, I could have been part owner of REI by now. I buy remote controlled booties which are on sale for 30 bucks. The fact that this useless piece of gear will never make it to the mountain doesn’t seem to deter me. It’s better to be prepared than perish. This motto has seen me buying the third layer of gloves and some waterproof gloves that can talk underwater and for the money I spent on that, it better sing too.

Today I went to return the pair of gloves I bought yesterday. The fact that REI takes returns even after a year of use makes them highly attractive. I normally don’t return things that have encountered my nose drip, but today was an exception. After spending 3 agonizing hours in the store astutely calculating whether Seirus gloves (with a three layer weatherproof protection) is better than the Mountain Hardwear (windstopper glove) or the cheaper REI version (which claims all of the above for three dollars less), I bought the Seirus glove thinking that all my cold finger problems are solved. The fact that I even considered the Northface and OR brands has been omitted for reader sanity. I paid an arm for this and hence should have asked for a 50% discount. I decided to test this pair the next day. I went on a run outside dressed in layers (that I purchased for the climb) and my new Seirus gloves. It was cold, probably 30F. I was very comfortable in every region of my vast body except the darned fingers! I ran for thirty minutes going from feeling numb to extreme pain. When I was ready to see both my hands detach and fall to the ground, I decided to remove the gloves so Pi could return them without the blood stains. The phenomenon that followed was quite disturbing. My hands instantly came back to life and even felt warmer than before! ‘Hmmmm’, I say to myself. First I must return this and second I mustn’t tell Pi. He would ask me to return everything else and walk up the mountain naked. For his own good, I better not tell him.

So you see my predicament. I waste too much time, money and energy at REI. Today at the returns counter a new blonde employee asked, 'Anything wrong with these gloves ma'am?' I went on this tirade of explaining how these gloves act more of a cold trap and that the waterproof layer on top makes it exceedingly hard to be dexterous with a camera. I had become an unsolicited gear tester for REI. I went on to tell her that the Mountain Hardwear that I bought last week, though not as warm provided better warmth for its price. Her eyes quickly light up and she goes, 'Oh, you are the one who moved apartments to be near REI.’ Word spreads!

16 comments:

Leela A said...

I hope you're buying two sets of everything, and one of them in a smaller size!

Alpha said...

Yes I am buying two sets of everything..but a size smaller doesn't make that much sense...aaah, you mean I might eventually loose weight with all this agonizing!

Go on order away..i'm not finding any more excuses to go to REI.

Sheeba said...

Heyy, I could have told you those Serius gloves were no good! I too was taken by the manuscript of 'features' those gloves come with. But one day (hour) on the ski slopes prooved to be too much for all those 'layers'! (And there I was thinking how chic my gloves looked compared to the chunky ones everyone else had)

Frostbitten and wiser now. Kudos for returning them so soon. I had them for a year before I returned them. But then again I need to walk half a mile to the store and not the ten steps like you. :)

Alpha said...

Rationale: what?!!! You were another victim of this seirus gloves! Jeez...they made it look pretty nifty i must say! sucks!

now for the million dollar questions, what finally worked. I looking for the ultimate glove!

Sheeba said...

Yeah those gloves look real high-tech! But they dont even work for Seattle winters- sheesh!

Havent bought one of my own yet. I rented gloves on the ski slopes each time! (They were pretty bulky. I think the brand was Columbia)

Anonymous said...

try taking mittins with the fingers inside- they do keep you warmer than gloves by far. also packs of the toasty toes and hand warmers- packets of some sort of sand that when exposed keep you warm for 10 hours. just back from jackson hole where the temp was 5 degrees farenheit........

Anonymous said...

and dont forget a complete face mask gangsta style........it works- and keeps you safe.......

Anonymous said...

...i think she meant for the water-bearing camels.

kps said...

heh... i can associate with the gear woes... and i was just trying to get a decent pair of gloves for the usual snow slopes!
btw, what is the training routine for this climb ?

Alpha said...

karan,
Just trying hard to get in shape that's all. Running about 4 miles and day, solid crunches and lunges. Stretching for 10 minutes and som weights for upper body strength. Basic stuff. Hope it is enough.

thanks m..bought mittens.

Anonymous said...

hoi, 30f is cold ah? Folks in Mass claim it is pleasant. I used to wonder until I was introduced to 12F, feels like 8F. Boy, that is fun! Especially with 30 mile winds on top of the lil hill where the hotel was situated. Best part is that I was wearing fleece gloves. Could not even feel the cigarette in a while.

So did you get professional advice from a mountaineer on the gloves? There are a few Everest forums that might help. Could look it up if you're short on time. Please let me know.

- 'eretic

Alpha said...

someone's getting all cocky!

Yeah figured out the gloves thing...now need to find a way to shoplift.

Sheeba said...

Gloves- Check!
Pee Pisser? :-D (maybe you need to bring it up to this crowd and generate even more ideas!)

Which gloves did u get finally? A friend from Ottawa showed me her columbia ones that were pretty good! (She uses it in 0F!!!) Brrr!

Anonymous said...

was just in china where its negative 2 and no heating- in most places. what works is tons of layering. people there wear 3 to 4 thin inner layers and no real heavy coat- just passing on info

and 4 miles running- you are going to
have a movie star figure in time for the climb.

Alpha said...

rationale: check next post.:)

m: yeah layering is key...we are all prepared for that.

movie star! like a sidekick you mean. I will send you pictures and you decide.:)

Anonymous said...

Am not suure when u guys are taking off. I know its around now.

So, delurking to say- Good Luck for the climb !


~AG